Thursday, December 22, 2005

What do you buy her for Christmas?

“So Mum, what do you want for Christmas this year?”

“Ooooo Surprise Me” she replied.

These are fateful words at Christmas time, no doubt repeated around the globe where giving gifts at Christmas is practiced.

But I don’t like surprises. Don’t get me wrong, if my six numbers come on Saturday’s lotto – that would be a surprise I would really like. But gift giving doesn’t have to be a surprise at my age. I’m 40 years old… keep the surprises for the kids! Mum, I love you – but it’s not healthy to have surprises at you’re age either!

I mean, just think about it. Were Mary and Joseph that thrilled when three wise men turned up with Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh for baby Jesus: that was certainly a surprise! I could buy her that, and at only $90 US dollars, it’s an easy treat. http://www.nicetoys.com/goldfrankincenseandmyrrh.html

But is it practical? I know the symbolic message of GF&M is Gold for The King, Frankincense to be burnt as a sacred offering of celebration to God and Myrrh used in death as an embalming lotion… err maybe not such a cool gift for Mum after all.

Dad says she had her eyes on some boots in Marks & Spencer the other day – great, that’s what I will buy… do you know how many styles of boots M&S are selling this year – Ahhhh!

So instead it’s cash in an envelope. I designed a card. Hope it brings a smile to her face.

No comments: